✹I am an author, filmmaker & animator. I write quirky tales about finding your place in the world and what makes you unique. Stories of family and humanity and where they begin and end. I love cinematic images, magic adventures and big odd ideas! ♥︎
I grew up in South London in a rambling Victorian house with 3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 little sister, an antique dealer dad and an artist mum. I have always wanted to tell stories, and as a child I found inspiration visiting TV and film sets including James Bond and Postman Pat, where my mum worked as a costume designer.
After studying at art college and film school, I worked as an animator on commercials, pop videos and 2 BAFTA winning children’s TV shows. I wrote and directed several successful short films before I became a children’s writer. I now live in North London with my partner Michael, a fox who visits our garden, and a clutter of house spiders.
A FEW FACTS ABOUT ME:
- I love reading books and watching films almost as much as I love creating them!
- My favourite children’s book is probably The Witches by Roald Dahl. I love all Roald Dahl books and I think the illustrations by Quentin Blake are as much a part of the story as Roald Dahl’s words.
- I was born and grew up in London.
- I went to two different primary schools, both were down the road from my house.
- I loved comic books as a kid, especially Goscinny and Uderzo’s Asterix, Herge’s Tintin and Carl Bark’s Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck adventure comics. Plus The Beano and The Dandy, which I read every week.
- I loved many other authors growing up, including: Philip Pullman, Joan Aiken, Terry Pratchett, Eva Ibbotson, Ursula Le Guin and Diana Wynne Jones, J R Tolkien, Douglas Adams, Enid Blyton. C. S. Lewis, Lewis Carroll.
- I love lots of contemporary children’s and YA authors too. Including Katherine Rundell, Robin Stevens, Piers Torday, Abi Elphinstone, Katherine Woodfine, Lorraine Gregory, Sophie Anderson, Catherine Johnson, James Nicol, SF Said, Candy Gourlay, Patrice Lawrence, Stewart Foster, Ross Welford, Christopher Edge, Kathryn Evans, MG Leonard, Maz Evans, Kiran Millwood Hargrave, Emma Carroll and Lara Williamson. I am glad to have met all of them, and am honoured to call many of them friends.
- Some of my favourite films are: Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz, Watership Down, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (or any hand-drawn Disney movie!), Kiki’s Delivery Service and Laputa – Castle in the Sky.
- Cogheart was Waterstones Children’s book of the month August 2016. It won the Awesome Book Award, The Dudley Teen Book Award and Sefton Super Reads. It for was also shortlisted for the Waterstones Book Prize and the Branford Boase.
- My animation work on The Secret Show (BBC) and Yoko Jakamoko Toto (ITV) for Collingwood Animation contributed to 4 BAFTAs.
- My short animation film Mind Games was a finalist for Virgin Media Shorts Award (2008) and screened in over 200 UK cinemas.
- I have an MA in Animation from the National Film & Television School.
- I also studied at Alleyn’s School, Chelsea College, Surrey Institute and Central St Martins.