I love meeting enthusiastic readers and writers to tell them how I became a children’s author. I’m happy to visit festivals, library groups, single classes or assemblies. I currently offer a talk and a workshop for KS2 & 3, years 4-8.
I offer a talk of 50-60 mins for groups of any size.
- It’s an interactive presentation that includes activities, a reading and a Q and A.
- The talk is followed by a book signing for however long we’ve organized.
During the session I explain how real-life VICTORIANS, AIRSHIPS and AUTOMATA (clockwork robots) inspired my books. I talk about my love of FANTASTICAL FILM ROBOTS and explain how I combined these ideas to create EXCITING CHARACTERS and a SUSPENSE-FILLED STORY. There’s a DEPORTMENT LESSON and the event ends with a BIG INTERACTIVE ROBOT QUIZ and some DRESSING UP. In the Q and A, I like to talk about my inspiring family, early writing, comics and animation, and how I first got into creating stories.
For smaller groups (30 or less) I offer a workshop of 60-75 mins where students:
- Design their own mechanimal or mechanical and write a brief description of them.
- Bring their creation to life using a simple flip animation or a more complex zoetrope strip.
- The workshop can include a brief version of my talk and Q+A for up to 10/20 mins, if required.
- The workshop is followed by a book signing for however long we’ve organized.
- I charge fees in line with the standard Society of Author’s rates.
- I charge travel expenses. Car 45p per mile, or train travel + local transport costs.
- For events further afield, overnight accommodation & food costs may be added.
Contact me below to request further information or discuss a booking. Please include the school’s address, potential year groups and number of students…