On Monday night I went to a great event for soon to be published authors organised by Non Pratt, author of Trouble and Remix, and Robin Stevens, Author of the Murder Most Unladylike Mystery Series (AKA Batnon and Robin – which are their secret superhero identities).
This is the second of their events I’ve been to. The first, last year, was all about what to expect as a debut author, which was a fantastic overview of the publishing process, especially for someone like me, who up until very recently knew nothing about the world of publishing!
This new session, however, was the HOW TO OF AUTHOR EVENTS, and Non and Robin cover a lot of topics, including:
- What you might include in setting up your author events info.
- Who and where your bookings might come from.
- How to pitch your event to schools, festivals and librarians.
- Varying the format of your talk for different sessions and audiences.
- Chunking your talk so that it’s easy to get through and scalable in length.
- Planning workshop events that teach writing, rather than just selling your book.
They also discussed how to set out your costs and rates with event organisers, what events you should charge for, how to plan and think about your expenses, and what, if any, events you might consider doing as freebies.
Finally they both demo-d short extracts of their own events for us, and stressed how you needed A LOT of audience participation to make your talk interesting to kids. Altogether it was a fun evening with plenty of laughs and knowledge along the way.
Both Non and Robin have new books coming out this year. And if you want to find out more about their author events for those, or any upcoming #BatnonandRobin events, you can find them on twitter here: